COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT YENAGOA BY IJAW ELDERS FORUM
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT YENAGOA BY IJAW ELDERS FORUM, LAGOS IN COLLABORATION WITH PARTNERS, STAKEHOLDERS AND ASPIRANTS FOR GOVERNORSHIP OF BAYELSA STATE TO ACHIEVE PEACEFUL AND CREDIBLE GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION AND GOOD GOVERNANCE IN THE STATE: DATED 31ST JULY, 2019.
Whereas on the 22nd May 2019, the Ijaw Elders Forum, Lagos and her collaborating partners held the first Stakeholders Conference towards achieving peaceful and credible governorship election as well as good governance in Bayelsa State; and indeed ensured an adoption of the Ijaw Charter and Ijaw Nation Code of Ethics, Leadership and Governance.
This follow up Stakeholders Conference held today, 31st July 2019 further crystalized and stressed the importance of aspirants and eventual candidates of political parties for the governorship of Bayelsa State to fully commit through affirmation and practice publicly all precepts to ensure non violence in elections in Bayelsa State.
The keynote speaker, Dr. Austin Tam-George in his address titled “Electoral Violence and the Superstitions of Power” stated that any leader seeking to serve, should not martial weapons of violence to the citizenry. He highlighted that leaders resort to violence because they hold the people in contempt, have no confidence in the electoral process, perpetrate culture of impunity, also lacking vision and a compelling message.
Fundamentally therefore, the focus of deliberations was on ELECTION VIOLENCE perpetrated in various forms and several agents. Election violence was roundly decried by the stakeholders conference. Furthermore, deliberations centered on an exploratory basis of possible future sanctions on those who perpetrate electoral violence.
Leading this crusade at the plenary session include:
- His Excellency, Rear Admiral Gboribiogha John Jonah – Deputy Governor, Bayelsa State.
- HRM, King Bubraye Dakolo, Ebenanaowei of Ekpetiama – Chairman of the occasion.
- Gen. Paul Toun – Chairman, Board of Trustees, Ijaw Professionals Association.
- Dr. Austin Tam-George – Fmr. Hon. Commissioner of Information, Rivers State.
- Barr. Efiye Bribena – Secretary, Ijaw Elders Forum, Lagos
- Rt. Hon. Tonye E. Isena – Speaker, Bayelsa State House of Assembly.
- Barr. Iniruo Wills – Co-convener of Embassara Foundation.
- Arc. Denzil Amagbe Kentebe – Chairman, Board of Trustees, Embassara Foundation.
Consequent upon the deliberations, the aspirants from political parties committed and subscribed to a violence-free electoral process(es). The aspirants who committed include:
- Adm. G.J. Jonah – PDP
- Chief George E. Ikoli – PDP
- Amb. Godknows B. Igali – PDP
- Dr. Erepamo F. Osaisai – PDP
- Barr. Kemela Okara – PDP
- Diseye Nsirim-Poweigha – APC
The organisers expressed profuse appreciations to participants and wished all safe return home.
For and on behalf of:
Ijaw Elders Forum Lagos, Ijaw Professionals Association, Embassara Foundation, Ijaw Women Connect and Ijaw Nation Forum.
Barr. Efiye Bribena Arc. Denzil Amagbe Kentebe