The Bayelsa State Government yesterday disclosed that it will revert to its earlier order on total lockdown of the state, as part of measures to prevent the spread of the dreaded COVID-19.
The government had last Thursday relaxed its lockdown directive on worship centres to enable Christians to participate in the Easter celebrations.
This comes as two suspected cases of the coronavirus in the state have tested negative.
Chairman, Implementation Committee of the Bayelsa Task Force on COVID-19, Dr. Inodu Apoku, revealed that the samples of the suspects were collected at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Yenagoa, for testing at the Irrua Specialist Hospital, Edo State.
According to a statement issued by Preston Akpor, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Information and Orientation, Apoku, said the results were received three days later and the suspects discharged.
Churches with large congregations were allowed 50 worshippers per service, while smaller Churches were permitted to have 20 worshippers for their Easter programmes.
Also, a statement issued yesterday by Governor Douye Diri’s Acting Chief Press Secretary, Daniel Alabrah, disclosed that the Easter celebrations were over, but the battle against COVID-19 was still on.
While commending the Churches for complying with the directive during Easter, he said reverting to the total lockdown underscored the importance his administration placed on safety and wellbeing of the people and residents of the state.
He pointed out that all the measures and pronouncements toward preventing the spread of COVID-19 into the state were still in force and urged Bayelsa people to continue to comply with them.
“The directive on total lockdown of the state, which was earlier relaxed due to the Easter celebration, has now been reinstated. I commend the Churches for their compliance level, as the reports I received were encouraging.
“Let us continue with the same zeal and commitment to prevent the virus from spreading to our state. So far, we have done well.
“I also commend the dedication of the COVID-19 task force, the health personnel, as well as the security agencies that have been working tirelessly to keep our state safe,” he said.